Little Kingfisher – 21 ft gaff yawl – Under Offer
- Designer: Dr. T. Harrison Butler, Cyclone Design
- Builder: A H Watty, Fowey
- Build year: 1926
- Overall Length: 21 foot 6 inches
- Waterline Length: 19 foot
- Beam: 7 foot 3 inches
- Draught: 4 foot
- Displacement: 3.16 tons
- Registered historic vessel on the National Small Boat Register
- Inboard engine with good access, serviced annually
Location – Hamble River, Solent Price – £12,500 Under Offer
Comments: A growing family forces reluctant sale of this much-loved perfect pocket cruiser. In good condition following a rebuild in 2009, with her woodburning stove and full boat covers, she is ideal for all-year round cruising for 2 adults.
Overview: Little Kingfisher was built of oak frames with grown elbows, her planking and decks are teak and she is copper fastened. She has a small cockpit and her cabin is entered by a hatch with an oilskin locker to port and a small pocket galley to starboard. She has two settee berths and a half-bulkhead to the forepeak stowage area. In her lifetime, Little Kingfisher has cruised extensively over most of the English Channel and North Sea, from Poole to Aldeburgh and Cherbourg to the Elbe. Her voyages include Chichester to Holland, Svenborg, Gotenburg, Stockholm, and Helskinki where she spent the war, being shipped home in June 1946. Between 1994 and 2009, she was rebuilt by Paul Drake at Tollesbury and a new 10hp Yanmar single cylinder diesel engine was fitted in 2000. She is now regularly sailed around the Solent and raced at Old Gaffers Association events. Archive material held by the owners includes two letters written by Harrison Butler in 1935 describing the vessel’s rig.
Construction: Carvel pitch-pine planking, copper fastened to steam bent oak timbers. Teak cabin and cockpit coamings, canvas covered coach-roof. Teak laid decks recaulked in 2013.
- 10hp Yanmar single cylinder diesel engine, fitted new in 2000, only done approx 325 hours, serviced annually by current owner since 2009.
- 25 litre Vetus nylon fuel tank.
- Three blade fixed propeller.
- 240 volt shore power. two heavy duty 85amp batteries, alternator charging.
- Pine masts and spars, sails include, main, 2 x furling headsails, staysail, mizzen.
- New bowsprit fitted 2015.
- Galvanised standing rigging.
- Compact Jabsco heads.
- Small woodburning stove.
- Spinflo gas cooker, 2 burner & grill (gas bottle mounted on deck by mast, with cover).
- Aft cockpit, locker seats, tiller steering.
- Whale manual bilge pump.
- 12 volt automatic bilge pump.
- Raymarine sounder / log.
- Icom VHS.
- 2 kg CQR anchor, chain and warp.
- Full boat cover from stem to stern with detachable foredeck section, new in 2012.